Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tucker is a cool guy.



Tucker and I had always been best friends. We're in the 7th grade. Well, we were. I am. He isn't. That's him sitting next to me, driving me home.

"So how've you been, man?" He puffed on his cigar.

"Uh...good. Science class is okay."

"Mr. Henderson! I kind of miss him. Fuck, I couldn't go in there now. Even to say hi. Know what I'm sayin'?"

"Uh...yeah. So...how is your dad?"

"Dad? You mean junior?" He laughed somewhat cruelly. "Little man is falling in line. He's a bit jumpy ever since I whooped his ass for trying to make phone calls to his old friends. Of course none of them actually remember him bein' an adult."

It was true. Ever since Tucker and his dad Phillip woke up one day and had inexplicably switched ages, no one had noticed except me. Tucker had freaked out at first, showing up at my house and I thought he was some crazy guy (dressed in his dad's bathroom robe no less). He was pretty scared and cried and knew things that only Tucker could have known. I had to send him away because my parents came downstairs. Then he went home and got a call...from his boss. It turned out everyone else remembered Tucker as the adult and Phillip as the kid.

When I asked him if he knew what could have done this he said no. But the more he insisted he didn't know, I got the feeling he was lying. Like, we were in his room and he was checking out his reflection and loving it and I could swear he said "it worked" under his breath. "What worked?" I asked.  "Oh nothing," he said. "Just, you know, the mouthwash I've been using. My teeth are really clean now..." He smiled and felt his new muscles and arm hair.

Ever since the initial switch he's been hard to get a hold of. I kept asking if he needed any help with anything and he just told me to look after his miniature dad at school. Everyone remembered him as my friend but inside he was still a bitter adult, having to live childhood over again. It was weird and I felt powerless and stressed out and thought he must be the same but when he asked me if I needed a ride from school, I couldn't have been more surprised. He was driving like a pro, and smoking a cigar! He looked every part the adult in the family, and he was acting...well...confident.

"So here's the thing, man. Boy. Whatever. John. You're my friend and all but like, I'm a grown up. I can't be friends with an 11 year old."

"I'm 11 and a half!"

He laughed. "That doesn't matter. People talk. Hang out with my new son. We ain't changing back if you know what I mean heh heh heh." He rubbed his stubble and checked out his reflection in the car mirror. "I look so freakin cool now. OH and I nearly forgot. As a thank you for helping me out before, I got you a DVD." He pulled over in front of my house.

I looked at the gift in my hands. "Green Lantern? We made fun of this movie."

"Really? I don't remember. Sorry. I was trying to give you something kids would like."

"You are a kid!"

He smiled, in a "kids are so amusing" way. He flicked the ash of his cigar.

"Look, I'm sorry. But as far as everyone is concerned I am 31. I can't be friends with you like I used to. I have adult friends now. I even have a girlfriend. And she does things to me, dude. Holy fuck!" He laughed mischievously. "Oh yeah, she loved the gift I gave to HER last night, man. Ho-holy fuck, I'm a lucky man. Man. MAN. I. Am. A. Man. And lovin' it." He puffed his cigar and exhaled. He took off his sunglasses and held out his hand for me to shake. "This is goodbye, John. I'm sorry."

"Yeah. So sorry you won't even tell me what happened?" I refused to shake his hand.

"Don't know what you're talking about, little man. Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get to the bar. I gotta meet my girl. You have a good day now, son."

I didn't look back. I just got out of the car and walked into my house and tried to forget everything about him. But it haunted me. Because we were friends. Maybe if I buddy up to Phillip we can figure something out. But I doubt it. Tucker seems pretty sure of himself. I don't see things as going back to "normal" anytime soon. It's a shame. Tucker is a cool guy. But I guess getting older really does change people!

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering why only John knows the truth. Maybe it alludes that he would be changed soon like Tucker?
    -YoungTrevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should really continue this! It's good. :)

    ReplyDelete